Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kitchen Organization - To The Wall!

I live in a pretty small home with a small galley kitchen.  This wouldn't be so bad, but I also happen to be a huge kitchen gadget addict and a hoarder of lots of spices.  Even though I love to cook, cooking in my kitchen was starting to become more of a chore than an enjoyment.  I always felt stressed about it.  I could never find anything.  The cabinets, the fridge, the counter tops - always cluttered.  

When you have a small space with limited storage (and no pantry), you only have one option.  Go to the wall and go up.  So I accomplished this last weekend by taking a trip to the Container Store (my personal favorite store EVER!) and to Costco.  


We're going to start a series of post of my kitchen reorganization project with making use of wall space.  When you have a small space with limited storage (and no pantry), you only have one option - go to the wall!  So I accomplished this last weekend by taking a trip to the Container Store (my personal favorite store EVER!).   


I forgot to take a "before" picture of my kitchen, but I have one from when we purchased the house, so here it is.  At least you can see the wall before the paint job and the installation of the shelving.


And here's the finished project...


(Side bar - Funny story about this project.  I had no intention of painting initially, but my hubby tried to install this rack while I was watching Jackson and thought the stud was a little to the left (it wasn't), so the shelf wasn't centered.  So there were these huge holes in the wall from where the anchors were placed.  So we got a drywall patch kit and a can of paint.  Best mistake ever! I love the paint on this accent wall.) 

Items Purchased

Can of paint in Pyramid Gold

Elfa Door and Wall Rack System

I purchased this on sale and believe it was about $90 total for all the components (2 spice baskets, 3 shallow and 2 deep).  This not only installs on the wall but can install over the door, so if you do have a pantry and want to maximize the space, it would be awesome on the inside of your pantry door.  

What's also amazing is that you can remove the baskets easily and take them with you. Just lift up and they're off!  Great for the spices if you want to take them off to work with them. 

Spice Racks

Three Shallow Bins

Deep Bins (perfect for oils, and larger items (even 2 liter sodas fit on here!)


I also bought a couple Elfa hooks to hang some necessities in easy reach...

Perfect to hang my measuring spoons and my grater... 

...and my oven mitt!

The final piece to bring it all together was the "Kitchen" sign, which I purchased at Kohl's for around $7.  As my mother said, without this sign, it would have looked a little too utilitarian.  The sign made it come together perfectly!


I loved this rack so much that I think I'll eventually buy another (or several) to use in other spaces. Would work amazing in a linen closet where you store toiletries or even in a laundry room for laundry supplies, or cleaning items. 

I do recommend the Elfa units.  They are much more solid than cheaper versions you might find in other stores.  Just wait for a sale!  

No comments:

Post a Comment